Automatic Transfer Carriages
The BHS Automatic Transfer Carriage (ATC) is a powered forklift battery transfer cart designed to be mounted on an existing pallet truck. The ATC is available in a variety of models with many flexible options to satisfy all unique battery handling requirements.
Simply mount the ATC onto a spare pallet truck and connect the battery (12 volt and 24 volt DC power available). The ATC’s extractor arm is operated entirely by the pallet truck battery, removing the need for an auxiliary power source. Position the ATC against the forklift battery compartment; rubber bumpers allow close contact without damaging the lift truck’s finish.
Operators use easy-access, center-mounted controls to extend the extraction arm. Once it connects to the forklift battery (via magnetic, vacuum, or hook-and-chain attachment), the hydraulic-powered extraction arm gently pulls the battery over the ATC’s 10 compartment rollers. A steel battery containment bar keeps the battery in place during transit.
ATC Battery Transfer Carts for Electric Forklift Fleets of Any Size
The ATC battery transfer cart is ideal for operations with very few forklifts, park & charge users, and as a back-up option for Operator Aboard Battery Extractor Systems. In fact, any operation that runs electric forklifts will benefit from the quick, ergonomic change-outs powered by an ATC.
If a battery fails in the aisles, for instance, users can replace that battery where the truck is stalled. This is safer and quicker than towing a lift truck back to the battery room for change-out. Users can also change forklift batteries in cold storage aisles to avoid subjecting trucks to the stress of frequent temperature changes.
A wide range of features and options allow users to customize ATC transfer carts for their unique applications. Click the Features & Benefits tab to view these options.
Download the PDF above for detailed specifications, or call 1.800.BHS.9500 to find a dealer near you.
Note: Product does not include pallet truck.
Download our PDF for usage information without a semi-dedicated/dedicated host pallet truck.
- Lowers system cost by utilizing existing equipment
- Mounts easily to powered pallet truck—consult BHS for pallet truck specifications
- Powered by the pallet truck battery (12 or 24 V dc available)
- Simple, center-mounted controls for easy operation from left, right, or rear of the carriage
- Standard industrial components utilized in the design, allowing for locally available parts
- Large 2.4” (61 mm) diameter rollers standard
- 10 compartment rollers allow for better wear and load distribution
- Hydraulic-powered push-pull extraction
- Enclosed dashboard sides for added protection against accidental contact with moving parts during operation
- Battery Containment Bar encloses compartment to secure battery during transport
- Rubber Bumpers protect the industrial lift truck fleet during battery change-out
- Spark-proof, poly-sleeved rollers reduce corrosive build-up and extend product life (ATC-24 only)
- Many flexible options available to satisfy unique battery handling requirements
- Comes equipped with Hook and Chain
- Vacuum Extraction (ATC-VAC)
- Eliminates the need for manual hook-up and reduces wear and tear on batteries. Includes back-up Hook & Chain Extraction. Ideal for use with a dedicated battery room operator
- Magnet Extraction (ATC-MAG)
- Eliminates the need for manual hook-up, reduces wear and tear on batteries, and is ideal when batteries are too narrow for vacuum extraction. Includes back-up Hook & Chain Extraction. Ideal for use with non-dedicated battery room operators.
- 7” Cantilever (ATC-CAN-7)
- Extends extractor arm reach an additional 7” (178 mm) and is ideal for use with outriggers
- 7” Cantilever & 6” Extension Bed (ATC-CAN-7-6)
- 7” (178 mm) additional extractor arm reach is ideal for use with outriggers, and 6” (152 mm) bed extension accommodates longer batteries
- 7” Cantilever & 8” Extension Bed (ATC-CAN-7-8)
- 7” (178 mm) additional extractor arm reach is ideal for use with outriggers, and 8” (203 mm) bed extension accommodates longer batteries
- 14” Cantilever & 6” Extension Bed (ATC-CAN-14-6)
- 14” (356 mm) additional extractor arm reach is ideal for use with outriggers, and 6” (152 mm) bed extension accommodates longer batteries
- 14” Cantilever & 8” Extension Bed (ATC-CAN-14-8)
- 14” (356 mm) additional extractor arm reach is ideal for use with outriggers, and 8” (203 mm) bed extension accommodates longer batteries
- Uncoated Rollers (ATC-UNCTD)
- Reduces roller height by 0.25” (6 mm) to accommodate low battery compartments
Note: Available on ATC-24 model only
- Two Tier Roller Compartment (ATC-2TIER)*
- Combines two roller compartment levels in one unit, and is ideal for a combination of narrow aisle trucks and counter-balance trucks – Watch this video to learn more
- Two Tier Poly Roller & SST Shaft (ATC-2TIER-PR)
- Converts the standard upper roller/shaft combination to solid poly rollers with 0.5” (13 mm) SST Shafts
- Drop-In Rollers (ATC-DIR)*
- Increases roller height up to 10” (254 mm) to reach battery compartments beyond pallet truck maximum lift, and includes the DIR Centering Angle and DIR Retainer Plate – Watch this video to learn more
Note: Recommended when ATC-2TIER is not feasible and extraction from multiple battery compartment heights is required
- Drop-In Roller Friction Strips (ATC-DIR-FS)*
- Increases roller height up to 10” (254 mm) to reach battery compartments beyond pallet truck maximum lift, and friction strips provide additional battery stability during transport (for use with standard bed length)
- Drop-In Roller, Extended (ATC-DIR-LG)*
- Increases roller height up to 10” (254 mm) to reach battery compartments beyond pallet truck maximum lift, and is for use with 6” (152 mm) or 8” (203 mm) bed extension
- Drop-In Roller, Extended with Friction Strips (ATC-DIR-LG-FS)*
- Increases roller height up to 10” (254 mm) to reach battery compartments beyond pallet truck maximum lift, and friction strips provide additional battery stability during transport (for use with 6” or 8” Extension Bed)
- Base Elevation (ATC-BSELV)*
- Elevates ATC base up to 10” (254 mm) – Watch this video to learn more
- Low Profile-Bolt-In Slide (ATC-LP)*
- Cost-effective ATC bolt-in slide option allows roller height to be adjusted 0.5” (13 mm) lower than standard unit
- Low Profile Design (ATC-LPF)*
- Allows lowered roller height of 5.5” (140 mm) with or without FP-C option
- Magnet Light Indicator (ATC-MLI)
- Illuminates when magnet is on, providing a secondary indicator to the audible alarm
- Electric Quick Disconnect (ATC-QDY)
- Dual SB-175 gray connector harness plugs into the pallet truck and battery, allowing ATC and pallet truck to be powered simultaneously
- Friction Strips (ATC-FS)*
- Provide additional battery stability during transport
- Chain Guard Rubber Flap Kit (ATC-RGD)
- Covers chains and sprockets to prevent dirt and debris from accumulating on or around chains and sprockets
- Extra Service Capacity (ATC-ESC)
- Increases ATC load capacity by 1,000 lb (454 kg) and also extends the life of the ATC in harsher environments (includes increased side rail support, front rail reinforcement, front overhead cross bar, and heavy-duty, high-torque, low-speed extractor arm drive motor)
- Self-Contained Battery and Charger (ATC-BATT), (ATC-CHGR)
- The ATC-BATT and ATC-CHGR allow the ATC to operate independently from lift truck, and the self-contained charger used in conjunction with self-contained battery provides a convenient and complete battery changing system
- Remote Control (ATC-RMT)*
- 6’ (1.83 m) cord enables ATC control from operator’s position on fork lift
- Heavy-Duty Extraction (ATC-HD)
- High torque hydraulic motor is recommended for applications using slide strips
- Fork Pocket/QDY/Tongue Kit (ATC-FP-C-24/30, ATC-FP-C-36/42)
- Designed for applications where a pallet truck can’t be dedicated full time to the battery changing process. Includes a welded Tongue Kit to enhance stability and an SB quick disconnect (ATC-QDY). Rear-entry fork pockets are designed for use with pallet truck.
- Three-Way Fork Pocket/QDY (ATC-FP-3-24/30, ATC-FP-3-36/42)†
- Designed for multi-purpose and multi-position and for applications where a pallet truck can’t be dedicated full time to the battery changing process. Includes a welded Tongue Kit to enhance stability and an SB quick disconnect (ATC-QDY). Rear-entry fork pockets are designed for use with pallet truck. Side-entry fork pockets are designed for use with SDCB lift trucks.
- Three-Way Fork Pocket (ATC-FP-3)†
- Designed for multi-purpose and multi-position. Side-entry fork pockets are designed for use with SDCB lift trucks, typically as a back-up to Operator Aboard Battery Extractors when combined with the Remote Control (ATC-RMT) and Vacuum Extraction (ATC-VAC) options. Rear-entry fork pockets can also be used with a pallet truck host truck when the bolt-on Tongue Kit is attached. Watch this video to learn more
- Permanent Mounting (ATC-MPJ)*
- Factory welding to customer-supplied pallet truck
- Bolt-On Mounting (ATC-BLTON)
- Semi-permanent mounting solution when the host truck is occasionally required for other tasks
Servicing Trucks with Outriggers
Servicing Roller Heights Outside Standard ATC Range
Options for Mounting the ATC to the Host Truck
* Consult Factory for this Option
† 24 V dc must be supplied from the host truck for powering the ATC (may require special taps and cable from SDCB battery), or optional on-board battery and charger packages are available if required.
- ATC-24 (24″ Wide Compartment)
- ATC-30 (30″ Wide Compartment)
- ATC-36 (36″ Wide Compartment)
- ATC-42 (42″ Wide Compartment)